2018 marked the 71st anniversary of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program and proved to be yet another successful campaign. Our Marines and volunteers distributed 18.5 million toys to over 7 million children-in-need!
Marines and volunteers conducted toy collection and distribution campaigns in 805 communities throughout the U.S. collecting over 15 million toys. Sadly, as good as our Marines are at raising toys locally, they ran out of toys before they ran out of children needing support, but the American public rallied behind Toys for Tots. With help from countless individuals, local businesses as well as our Corporate Sponsors, we were able to augment our local toy drives with an additional 6 million toys valued at $70 million allowing our Marines and volunteers to support ALL families seeking their assistance.
Marine Toys for Tots had a lot of help from individuals and organizations raising awareness about the less fortunate and calling the public to action in delivering a message of hope:
First Lady Melania Trump arrived at our Toys for Tots warehouse in Washington DC to conduct a media event and volunteer her services sorting toys, engage with children and thank the Marine Corps and volunteers.
New York Stock Exchange invited Toys for Tots to ring the opening bell on November 23rd, “Black Friday” serving as a great reminder to the American Public to purchase a toy for a less fortunate child on one of the biggest shopping days of the year.
The 9th annual Hollywood Christmas Parade featuring Marine Toys for Tots was held on November 25th in the heart of Hollywood. With a million viewers in attendance combined with the on-air viewership on the CW Network and The Hallmark Channel, the parade brought joy and entertainment to millions while encouraging the public to help less fortunate children through Toys for Tots.
Tots during NFL Game Day hosting a toy drive at selected home games.
The Toys for Tots Public Service Announcement commercial “Christmas Morning” was aired on TV over 17,000 times with the help of J. Walter Thompson Atlanta.
Toys for Tots makes good use of your donation. Once again, the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation achieved a 97:3 ratio of program to support service expenses in 2018. That means over 97% of every dollar donated - that's 97 cents of every dollar - went to our mission of providing gifts to less fortunate children and only 3 cents to fundraising and overhead costs.
Toys for Tots Fun Facts:
- 2018 marked the 71st anniversary of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program
- Marines and volunteers distributed 18.5 million toys to 7 million children in 2018
- Conducted 805 local campaigns in all 50 states, DC, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Guam
- 2018 Holiday Campaign received help from over 37,000 volunteers October – December
- The Toys for Tots Native American Program supported over 150,000 children from 60 reservations in 10 different states
- The Toys for Tots Literacy Program distributed over 1.2 million children’s books helping to increase literacy and break the cycle of poverty
- Maintained a charity-enviable 97:3 Program to Support Expense ratio
- Marine Toys for Tots is an accredited Charity and Seal Holder of the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance
- Marine Toys for Tots holds a 4-Star rating on Charity Navigator
- Walt Disney was the Toys for Tots logo creator
- The Toys for Tots website saw 16.5 million page views between October – December
- Since 1947, Toys for Tots has delivered hope to 258 million children